Crème caramel, flan, caramel custard, egg pudding or caramel pudding is a custard dessert with a layer of clear caramel sauce, contrasted with crème brûlée which is custard with a hard caramel layer on top.
I have enjoyed this simple custard recipe many times, especially after a meal. My friend Sagar Wagh gave me this recipe and now in fact, I’ve made it so often I don’t even look at the recipe now. See if it doesn’t become a regular favourite at your house.
Ingredients Required for Making Caramel Custard
[ ] Caramel:
Take 150-200gm castor sugar
[ ] Custard:
1 tsp vanilla essence
How to make Caramel Custard
- Put sugar in a non stick pan or vessel and add about 3-4 tsp water and heat on low to medium flame.
- Pour the caramel into the mould. And set aside.
- In a large saucepan slightly heat the milk and add sugar to it to dissolve.
- Break 3 eggs in a bowl and add vanilla essence and whisk….Just mix …Do not aerate.
- Add the lukewarm milk to the eggs while whisking continuously… Just mix…Do not aerate.
- Now strain the mixture using a strainer. Pour the strained mixture into the mould with caramel.
- Preheat the oven at 160 deg C for 20 min.
- Place the mould into a tray. And put water into the tray to create a water bath. And then bake on convection at 160 deg C for 45-50 min. Do the knife test at centre to check if done.
- Cool on wire rack. Then refrigerate.
Finally our Caramel Custard is Ready
- To unmold, carefully loosen side of custard with knife or small spatula. Place dessert dish or plate on top of cup and, holding tightly, turn dish and cup upside down. Shake cup gently to loosen custard. Caramel syrup will run down sides of custard, forming a sauce.
Click here to buy ingredients
Check out my different food recipes.